Thursday 13 October 2011

I have to start somewhere, so why not on Market Day in Devizes.

Here's the first sentence of my new blog about my life in Devizes, a small, traditional market town in the middle  of the county of Wiltshire.  Wiltshire is famous for its sites of very ancient history, medieval man made his home here thousands of years ago, and left round burial barrrows, bell barrows, long barrows, Silbury Hill, Stonehenge and Avebury Stone Circle.  I am very lucky to live in such an interesting part of England.  Devizes is only 18 miles from Bath, the city twinned with Braunschweig and 2O miles from the cathedral city of Salisbury.  We are in chalk downland country and giant white horses have been carved into the chalk hills over the centuries, I'm not sure if anyone knows why.  I live in the town centre, within easy reach of the shops, the theatre, cinema, library, church  halls for singing and dancing, the museum and a multitude of services, all useful for the onward march of creeping old age.  The "Boys in Blue" at the fire station are just around the corner.


Bountiful Carrots.

I will add some website addresses, where you will be able to read more about my beautiful home town in a rolling, Wiltshire downland landscape.   http://www.devizes.org.uk/   


Gloves, socks, hats and assorted winter wear.



No comments:

Post a Comment