Saturday, 6 October 2012

Cutting out the Regency Dress

It's been a very long time since I did any dressmaking.  I think the last time I made a dress was way back in the 1970's, certainly long before my son was born 1985.   I've rather lost my confidence, and spent the afternoon, checking and double checking that I had laid the pattern out properly on the fabric.  I've decided to simplify the dress, and make the back in one piece, rather than in the four pieces of the original design.  Some parts of the pattern had to be laid wrong side up, the material is placed right sides together, so all in all, you need an IQ of 150+ just to read the pattern!   Anyway after much dithering, I've managed to cut out dress A, and will now have to find some lining material, and cut that out at a later date.  It's been a lovely autumn day here with warm sunshine and no wind, although it is about to change for the worst on Sunday unfortnately!  
"Hampshire Rose" the narrowboat belonging to my friends is still at the Wharf, having had engine problems which are now repaired, and been delayed by the closure of the locks because a hire-boat sank in the bottom lock of the Caen Hill flight.  It is thought that water flooded through the weed-hatch, a device that gives access to the propeller for the removal of fouling, and which needs screwing up tightly when replaced.  Obviously somebody forgot to tighten the nut.   Oh dear!

No comments:

Post a Comment